Learning about change

in Christian organisations

Dear Friends,

I would like to pose this question; Are we neglecting the boy child in the society ?

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that in some societies we are definitely neglecting the boy child.  Botswana is one of them. For a very long time (I think 100 years) women in Botswana were more likely to have two years of education (and thus basic literacy skills) than men were.  The boys were responsible for caring for cattle, only a small proportion of them attended school while nearly all girls in villages with schools attended school (for the first 2-3 years).  The boys who did attend tended to complete more years of school while the girls dropped out after a few years.  But Botswana ended up with many more literate women than men for a long portion of its history.

Today, in Botswana, there are more women than men in university, a higher percentage of boys never go to school, a higher percent of girls graduate from high school. 

Even so, one hears Botswana being given funding for the girl child!  There certainly are challenges for the girl child.  Incest in Botswana definitely influences girls more than boys, girls and women get AIDS at an earlier age than boys/men.  These need to be addressed in culturally appropriate ways, but, in my opinion the needs of the boy child also need to be addressed.

It seems to me that Western schools also tend to neglect the boy child. 

It seems that because people view the boy-child as Non-Poor and the girl-child as Poor (using Bryant Myers terms from Walking with the Poor) that people think the boy-child does not have needs.  But as Bryant Myers points out - all of us, whether Poor or Non-Poor need God to work in our lives, we all have damaged self-images which need to be addressed.

Ignoring the boy-child is a problem, just as much as it was a problem to ignore the girl-child. 

Sue

In Central African context, boy child are more important in domestic and agricultural works but comparativement with girl, familly take care of boys more than girl because in rural context where they are under scolarization, the girl is prepared to be wife one day.

But now, girls and boy receive the same care.In prov 6.22 bible ask us to show child(boy and girl) the way to follow, if boy or girl is neglecting, its for the underknowledge of Bible .

P.s: I'm french speaker

RSS

Events

Forum

Inadvertant feminist?

Started by Lorentz Forsberg in Open Forum. Last reply by Stanley Arumugam Mar 13. 5 Replies

Violence Against Women (VAW) in Africa

Started by Sean Callaghan in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 6 Replies

What does "ownership" really mean?

Started by Rick James in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 7 Replies

Boy Child

Started by TAABCO RESEARCH & D CONSULTANTS in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 2 Replies

Comments on "Counselling and prayer post-conflict"

Started by Space for Grace in Topic of the month. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 1 Reply

Christian Association to unify mainline Denominations

Started by B.K. Penda in Open Forum. Last reply by Alice Wainaina Apr 1, 2016. 1 Reply

Youth Generation Community FLOWER in Tangerang

Started by Blanche Pearl in Open Forum. Last reply by Blanche Pearl Aug 25, 2015. 4 Replies

© 2017   Created by Space for Grace.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service