Learning about change

in Christian organisations

Dear all,

This comment was submitted by Professor David Kodia, a CORAT Africa Associate, after reading the papers written by Dr. William Ogara in the November letter.

You are all welcome to contribute!

/Lorentz

Comments from Prof. David Kodia

William this is a very useful initiative. My input may not be very elaborate the way you have put your thoughts together, but it seeks to enrich your very ideas with the following:

1. Transformative approach: Apart from prayer, and counselling, and the first five items you mentioned, it would be more relevant to consider the transformative approach. This approach would seek to address both social and spiritual symptoms as they unfold in people’s life. The idea is how to help bring about transformation in a person, thus enable him gain from positive thinking as a prerequisite for healing.

2. Reconciliation: This is a multi-tier engagement. Without a sufficient ground for reconciliation healing and forgiveness may not be adequately experienced. Tools need to be developed that can assist in the reconciliation process.

3. Biblical nurture: Bible is a Christian tool and it is rich with messages of hope. Biblical nurture can be a great weapon for both spiritual and social transformation. Setting up bible study groups with adequate tools is a step towards encouraging biblical knowledge as a resource for forgiveness and reconciliation. There are good biblical stories which have great parallel to our own situations. The idea is to promote the culture of individual and group bible reading for self edification as well.

4. Church leader’s renewal conventions: Conventions are known for their spiritual and social impact in the life of the church. When conventions are organized their thematic nature would attract a number of participants. In East Africa, revival conventions have been like a seed for a regenerated church, echoing the voices of transformation, healing and reconciliation. Conventions are generally ecumenical and hierarchy is never an issue as every participant is considered to be equal to the other. I would propose some kind of conventions as post-conflict mechanisms for transformation.

5. Ecumenical training: It has also become clear that ecumenical spirit can also be enhanced when different church leaders are brought together in ecumenical workshops. Establishing of an ecumenical training centre would also help the churches to refocus on a wider picture of their mandate. This would require developing a tool for capacity building.

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear all, thanks for this resources, i'm central african pastor and NGO leader.Our country is in war since 5 years.In context of poverty, it's more important to add reconstruction and reparation in this list.

After this, it's more important to provide emmergency assistance and bring social responses.

Sorry, excuz me for my limit in english because i'm french speaker.

RSS

Events

Forum

Inadvertant feminist?

Started by Lorentz Forsberg in Open Forum. Last reply by Stanley Arumugam Mar 13. 5 Replies

Violence Against Women (VAW) in Africa

Started by Sean Callaghan in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 6 Replies

What does "ownership" really mean?

Started by Rick James in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 7 Replies

Boy Child

Started by TAABCO RESEARCH & D CONSULTANTS in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 2 Replies

Comments on "Counselling and prayer post-conflict"

Started by Space for Grace in Topic of the month. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 1 Reply

Christian Association to unify mainline Denominations

Started by B.K. Penda in Open Forum. Last reply by Alice Wainaina Apr 1, 2016. 1 Reply

Youth Generation Community FLOWER in Tangerang

Started by Blanche Pearl in Open Forum. Last reply by Blanche Pearl Aug 25, 2015. 4 Replies

© 2017   Created by Space for Grace.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service