Learning about change

in Christian organisations

I read the two articles for September, 'Living values in redundancies' by Patrick Goh and

'Redundancies in Christian Manner" by Sheila Jones. These two articles were very relevant and came handy. At first I glossed over them thinking that as a consultant who is now no longer dealing with HR issues from within, my role is purely to offer advice. With that attitude my only take from the articles was how to get tips and advise others should the need arise. But a thorough analysis of the articles revealed some defects even in me. For instance, I reflected on how I have handled house helps (maids and guards) in my home. Honestly the article touched a raw nerve in me especially where it said you not only need to do what is legal but that which reflects your values. I notice that as a Christian, all things need to be done to the glory of God! Going an extra mile by being amicable, gentle, open and being warm to the employee is a key aspect that can ensure good relationships even after terminating employment. I have examples in mind where I parted ways with house helps (maids or guards) in very amicable manner and I reflected Christian values of love, truth etc and up to now we are still in talking terms. I also have examples where I parted ways with house helps in very acrimonious manner because maybe they were thieves or arrogant. In the latter case,  we have problems communicating. Its indeed all a factor of values! Thanks Sheila and thanks Patrick

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jonathan

I was really touched by your gracious response. And... it gives me a chance to highlight, and commend your 'reflexivity'! Something the world needs more of!

Someone is said to be ‘reflexive’ if they are able to notice the actions and reactions of self and others in relation to oneself, and to use these observations to guide and coordinate continuing conversation and future action.

It is the ability to be aware of our taken for granted, internalised assumptions about how the world works, and the impact/consequences of this on others. 

When we practice reflexivity we make choices about how we will think and act. We become responsible and accountable for our choices, our actions, and this in turn creates our social worlds.

You are an inspiration!

Every blessing

patrick

RSS

Events

Forum

Inadvertant feminist?

Started by Lorentz Forsberg in Open Forum. Last reply by Stanley Arumugam Mar 13. 5 Replies

Violence Against Women (VAW) in Africa

Started by Sean Callaghan in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 6 Replies

What does "ownership" really mean?

Started by Rick James in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 7 Replies

Boy Child

Started by TAABCO RESEARCH & D CONSULTANTS in Open Forum. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 2 Replies

Comments on "Counselling and prayer post-conflict"

Started by Space for Grace in Topic of the month. Last reply by RODONNE SIRIBI Clotaire Apr 25, 2016. 1 Reply

Christian Association to unify mainline Denominations

Started by B.K. Penda in Open Forum. Last reply by Alice Wainaina Apr 1, 2016. 1 Reply

Youth Generation Community FLOWER in Tangerang

Started by Blanche Pearl in Open Forum. Last reply by Blanche Pearl Aug 25, 2015. 4 Replies

© 2017   Created by Space for Grace.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service